Preventing a Slip and Fall Accident at Work
Work is important for people but safety should never be compromised. A slip and fall accident is one of the tragic events that could happen at the workplace. 22% of slip and fall at work resulted in more than 31 days of lost wages. It was recorded in 2019 that there are 880 employees lost their lives due to a fall accident and 244,000 were injured at the workplace. Preventing a slip and fall accident at work is not impossible, and here are the ways to do it. These actions are for workers and management as part of providing a safe workplace for everyone.
Preventing Slip at Work
Spills, oily or wet floors, loose mats, and less traction on the floor surface are common causes of a slip accident. This happens due to the lack of friction on a person’s feet and the ground surface. Here are ways to keep yourself safe from a slip accident.
- Use warning signage or markings to inform people of slippery areas while there it is not being cleaned or dry. There are areas that water could run down continuously due to damages or faulty equipment. Warning signages should be placed in these locations to avoid slip accident until it is fixed properly.
- Immediately clean the spill at areas where most people walk or pass by. Use a good cleaning agent that doesn’t leave a wet surface and makes it slippery. Use a product that could dry up quickly. You could use a cloth or dry mop to ensure that the surface is not slippery already.
- Walkways and workplaces should have good lighting at all times. Workers might slip on places where they couldn’t see the signage. Wet floors or spills could become totally invisible without proper lighting. Light bulbs, faulty switches, and other possible electrical issues should be fixed immediately.
- Sweep dirts or small debris on the floor that affects the friction or traction on the floor. Remove any objects that could roll when someone accidentally steps on it.
- Use footwear that gives enough traction for you to move confidently.
- Ensure that all carpets, rugs, and mats are not moving easily. You could secure it by taping or tacking it. It will be a good habit to check it once in a while to ensure that it doesn’t move.
Learn more and continue reading this article in our blog at https://freewaylaw.com/preventing-a-slip-and-fall-accident-at-work/.
Originally published at https://freewaylaw.com on July 15, 2021.